Monday, December 31, 2012

Reflections and saying good-bye.... to 2012 :)

I'm sitting down to write my last post for the year. I decided to stay home  for New Years Eve (as we've done it more than going out the past 12 years). I blamed it on my now-gone cold and the fact that  both of us has to go back to work on Wednesday.

As I'm looking back to the past year my quilting life has changed tremendously. I started to blog at the end of January which inspired me to finish more stuff than I used to. I found  so much inspiration in other people's blogs that I let a lot of subscriptions elapse on my magazines. Instead I signed up to Pinterest which is a great place to gather my ideas and things that inspire me. Not even mentioning food!

I got my dream sewing machine at the moment  which helped me dig through some of my UFO-s which seemed impossible with my newer machine. I don't use it as much as I should because of the lack  of space,  but I piled up a few quilt tops to be finished. One more to go and I'm ready to get it  out and quilt away :) I think I'll name her Gracie.

Thanks to Gracie I made my first Free Motion Quilted quilt. Before her I only did straight lines without a walking foot.

Speaking of walking foot, I used my walking foot for the first time a few months ago. I was not able to use it the  way it was supposed to be used and I always thought I did something wrong. As it turned out part of the presser foot was missing and it couldn't push the fabric through properly. Live and learn, right? :)

I discovered some great new podcasts which I haven't listened to before.

I met some beautiful virtual friends who are very supportive of what I do.

I signed up to Twitter. In the back of my mind I knew what I'll be in for, but it actually blew my mind. I spend lots of hours chatting away  and feel even closer to my cyber friends. And because  of that I kind of fell behind on reading the blogs I want to follow. Occasionally I go back and catch up, leaving 5-6 comments at the time, please forgive me :)) 

I also ventured into the world of Craftsy which I'm really thankful for. I  always wanted to take classes, but when I had a place to go to my schedule was hectic. Now  I would have more time, but the  quilt shop closed down. I'm really happy with the Craftsy classes and have several in the queue to go through.

I started to make my first "pattern" quilt with the Craftsy BOM class.

And now before Christmas I started my first mystery quilt which I enjoy a lot and can't wait for the conclusion.

I made my first bag which was not a big deal, but I never tried bag making before.

I made my first zippered pouch using a  Youtube video. I never thought it was that easy.

I got to meet the wonderful Jennifer Paganelli who made me feel like no one before. I'm truly thankful, She's such a wonderful  person!

I made a collage of the things I made this year. I might've forgot some things, but that's OK.


Finally I made a paper pieced test star for the Lucky Stars BOM 2013 club this evening as the last thing for this year.


Tomorrow I will be working on my Easy Street project as much as I can since I'm almost out of black and white fabrics and the ones I ordered are not here yet. I wish everyone a Wonderful New Year and may all your resolutions be unbroken!

'Til we blog again! :)

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great year you have had. Have an even better 2013. Happy New Year. Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! Happy New Year and here's to many more lovely projects for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kati,congratulations on all of your finishes for this year! Each of them is lovely in its own way,especially your lucky stars BOM. Hears to many more finished projects in the coming year! Happy to call myself one of your virtual friends ;)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kati I also found that blogging and connecting on Twitter opened up a new world of quilters to me.
    You have quite an impressive list of completed projects. Love seeing them all in one place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on all you have accomplished this year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a very busy and productive 2012 Kati! I wish you the best this year and I'm so happy to have you as a virtual friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow so impressive and beautiful! I want to make the bag and the pouch .. I don't believe you it's that easy :) xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful things are done in 2012! you were working so hardworking. I love and marriage rings and beautiful bag at the top and the Dresden plate quilt is very pretty. And this block Luck Star.
    Now I have similar idea: to show my things which I sewed in 2012 . Thank you, Kati for your wonderful show! Good luck in 2013!

    ReplyDelete

I am truly glad you visited, and a special thanks to You for taking your time to leave a comment! It always makes me smile when people write to me. Thanks, from the bottom of my heart! :)