After the iron setback this weekend I decided to take action. Went down to Target again and bought a $24.99 iron I thought would be perfect for a temporary replacement until my new one arrives. When I got it out of the box I couldn't believe my eyes. It was the plate I was looking for!
Voila! The plate without grooves or indentations:
I have no idea why the manufacturers don't put pictures of the plate on the box, but it was a nice surprise. I'd opened several irons at the store last time I was there just to be disappointed. This was one that I didn't open. I sould've. Guess it's too late now. Or not. I'm in love with this iron :) It has an extra long cord and the iron stays on for a relatively long time before it shuts off automatically.
I happily sat down to finish the block I started a week ago. I found an easier way to "pin" the blocks together without using actual pins. I don't know about you, but the paper or fabric often moves as the pins go through all the layers. I figured I'll try to hold them together with yes, paper clips!
It worked fine and I didn't have to fiddle with bending pins and such.
As I was sewing the segments together before pressing I was checking if everything was alright and had an Oh, CRAP! moment. The blue flower fabric didn't quiet go down to the corner the meet the others. In 2 of the units.
Yes, that's about a half an inch too short!
I called my BFF and started to rip the stitches out.
After the tedious process I used Carol Doak's tip to put the opaque scotch tape on the sewing line of the paper on the blocks I was going to reuse again to save the paper that was ripped already. It worked like a charm! Didn't melt under the iron and held my paper together like it was new. Had no problem stitching over it after I re-made the 2 parts I needed.
The end result of the Ninja Star for March:
Yesterday we were at the flea market and picked up some lettuce plants that I planted after we got home.
The petunias I planted on the street front(last week's picture):
We bought these 3 colors:
She thinks this is her new bathroom... Zucchinis and cucumbers:
Strawberries full of fruits already:
Tomatoes, hot banana peppers, and more strawberries:
Tomatoes, sweet banana peppers, and rosemary:
And now the lettuce addition next to the strawberries:
And the front yard turned into a violet field in the past week:
That's all for now, I keep working on my Lucky Stars block, and probably by the time I finish it the new one will come out on May 1st. So much for catching up... :)
'Til we blog again! :)