Sunday, November 4, 2012

Hurricane Sandy aftermath and relief blocks

Hi Everybody,
I'm glad to be back! Literally! After Hurricane Sandy storming through and losing power for a few days it's nice to be able to post again.
When they started to forecast the storm I was busy getting ready to have some handwork to do while we lose power which only lasted for 2 days thank  goodness! We had very strong winds blowing through, but not many trees or power lines down. The only annoyance I had was not being able to reach anybody via cell phone since the nearby tower was also down.
We had to go over to our friend's house to bring our frozen food to put in their freezer which they were using with a generator. They live a few miles away and on the way there I was taking some pictures to show the destruction.

Tree fallen on the power line

Mostly pine trees suffered the damage

At this property every single pine tree was rooted  up and fell across the drive way on both sides.

Another one down...

I also shot some videos  which we will upload to Youtube, I'll link them in later.
When we got the power back and we saw the news for the first time in 3 days it was devastating. We were listening to the radio all day while we didn't have power, but when you just hear about it you can't imagine what people are going through. I have friends in NJ close to the beach who I haven't heard from for a week, just got a phone call this morning that they're OK. It's really sad to see all those neighborhoods gone, people who were left with nothing.
One of our fellow quilters Jennifer from Knotted-Thread has family and friends in the area that was hit by the hurricane. She's reaching out for help to make quilts to be donated to people who need them.
I made these blocks and will mail them tomorrow so She can get working.

Black and gray blocks:

Multicolored blocks:

She'd set up a Flickr group for people who want to help. Please consider signing up, She's still collecting blocks for the multicolored ones. She'd like to get them by November 25 to be able to deliver the quilts by Christmas. The blocks are easy to make, only Half Square Triangles. Thank you for your support!

'Til we blog again! :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kati, so glad to read that you and your family are okay. Some of the stories popping up about the storm are so devastating.

    Great blocks, Kati - I'm off to visit Jennifer and the flickr group. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear that you are safe and sound! Your blocks are all pretty,I would love to help out,but am out of white,as is the LQS :( However I have made a couple blocks for another blogger doing the same thing :)

    It is so heart wrenching to see all of the devastation caused by the storm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those blocks are AWESOME!!! I am so glad that your power wasn't out for too long...of course any length of time is terrible :( What a mess :(

    ReplyDelete

I am truly glad you visited, and a special thanks to You for taking your time to leave a comment! It always makes me smile when people write to me. Thanks, from the bottom of my heart! :)