Saturday, July 7, 2012

Our hiking/canoeing trip pictures

Before  4th of July we went away for 3 days to the Catskill Mountains. Fiance likes to take photos of the stars, but with our luck it was a day before full moon. We planned on hiking and kayaking/canoeing in the area.
We arrived on Monday afternoon to Downsville where we had reservations to the local motel which exceeded my expectations. I'm kind of picky when it comes to accommodations, but kind of had no choice since there are no hotels around. We looked it up online and the motel got some really nice reviews from previous guests. I have to say our room was simple, but very clean, which is the most important thing for me.
After settling down we asked around if we could go somewhere to eat and the owner of the motel told us that there's only one restaurant in town and they're closed on Mondays. Bummer :) We drove over to Walton and found a place to have dinner. By the time we got back the sun was going down. 

The motel is located by the river:


The boys gathered some wood for a bonfire.




Tuesday morning we went to a nice hike, our first stop was the Trout Pond:



I saw some very pretty flowers along the way:




Next we hiked through the hill to Mud Pond (which we did not find at all) and found these butterflies drinking by the water:


Since out of the 3 of us I'm the one in the least shape I was hiking up front and met some snakes along the way:


It was a good 5 miles, most of it going uphill. After a nice lunch (leftover from last night's dinner) we put the canoe and kayak on the water and off we went. 

This covered bridge was about a 1/4 mile down the river:


It was a beautiful 6 mile trip, it took us 3.5 hours, but it was well worth it.


On our way home on Wednesday we   stopped by the Pepacton Reservoir:


All in all we had a wonderful  relaxing time in the countryside, but I was glad to be back home.

3 comments:

  1. Kati, it looks so beautiful and peaceful :) We really do need to get away from the city and explore more but this year has been mad and it just hasn't been possible, especially with all the trips back to England. Maybe 2013 will be our year to travel more with the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful. I feel better just looking at your pictures :) Bummer about the moon... but I sure love a full moon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kayaking looked like so much fun! Love the butterfly photo. thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete

I am truly glad you visited, and a special thanks to You for taking your time to leave a comment! It always makes me smile when people write to me. Thanks, from the bottom of my heart! :)