Monday, April 29, 2013

Making star progress and some Spring garden pictures

After the iron setback this weekend I decided to take action. Went down to Target again and bought a $24.99 iron I thought would be perfect for a temporary replacement until my new one arrives. When I got it out of the box I couldn't believe my eyes. It was the plate I was looking for!

Voila! The plate without grooves or indentations:

I have no idea why the manufacturers don't put pictures of the plate on the box, but it was a nice surprise. I'd opened several irons at the store last time I was there just to be disappointed. This was one that I didn't open. I sould've. Guess it's too late now. Or not. I'm in love with this iron :) It has an extra long cord and the iron stays on for a relatively long time before it shuts off automatically.
I happily sat down to finish the block I started a week ago. I found an easier way to "pin" the blocks together without using actual pins. I don't know about you, but the paper or fabric often moves as the pins go through all the layers. I figured I'll try to hold them together with yes, paper clips!


It worked fine and I didn't have to fiddle with bending pins and such.
As I was sewing the segments together before pressing I was checking if everything was alright and had an Oh, CRAP! moment. The blue flower fabric didn't quiet go down to the corner the meet the others. In 2 of the units.

Yes, that's about a half an inch too short!

I called my BFF and started to rip the stitches out.
After the tedious process I used Carol Doak's tip to put the opaque scotch tape on the sewing line of the paper on the blocks I was going to reuse again to save the paper that was ripped already. It worked like a charm! Didn't melt under the iron and held my paper together like it was new. Had no problem stitching over it after I re-made the 2 parts I needed.

The end result of the Ninja Star for March:

Yesterday we were at the flea market and picked up some lettuce plants that I planted after we got home.

The petunias I planted on the street front(last week's picture):



We bought these 3 colors:

She thinks this is her new bathroom... Zucchinis and cucumbers:

Strawberries full of fruits already:

Tomatoes, hot banana peppers, and more strawberries:

Tomatoes, sweet banana peppers, and rosemary:

Overview:

Green beans:

And now the lettuce addition next to the strawberries:

And the front yard turned into a violet field in the past week:

That's all for now, I keep working on my Lucky Stars block, and probably by the time I finish it the new one will come out on May 1st. So much for catching up... :)

'Til we blog again! :)

6 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you found your "dream iron" ;)! I wish you many happy years together!
    Lovely paper pieced blocks. And your garden is definitely looking like Spring has arrived. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a new inexpensive iron for student use, I will have to make a trip to Target.

    Nice job on your BOM stars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you got a great iron. Your garden looks so amazing. I like the block too. It reminds me of zentangles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great star block fabric choices! Glad you found an iron to use in the meantime. I hope it works well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That block is awesome! Your garden and the flowers look lovely :) We have had snow all day,but it has not stuck :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful block and that sounds like a perfect iron! I'm going to have to check it out as the one I have has groves that catch my fabric. Your flowers look great too!

    ReplyDelete

I am truly glad you visited, and a special thanks to You for taking your time to leave a comment! It always makes me smile when people write to me. Thanks, from the bottom of my heart! :)