I can't believe it's been almost a month since I last posted. Time flies when you're having fun, I guess! I finally had my editing software re-installed after I got an SSD drive put into my laptop (by DF) for better speed.
I whipped up a few oven mitts as presents and since I was at it I also made some for myself. I used any strings I had on hand, they were all under 2". I made up the pattern using my own hand, and after I was done I just realized the insul bright I was using has a pattern on the packaging. Oh, well! I will use that next time.
I asked the design question on twitter of which quilting method people would prefer, and most of them voted for lines, so after I made the grid one, the second one stayed with line quilting.
The method I used making them was I cut out the shape of the mitten with a generous seam allowance from insul bright, and then started to sew my strings on top, and fold and press as I went. When I was done I trimmed it to size, and quilted it, putting the flannel as backing. I've sewn it right side facing, and also stuck a little hanging tag in between, facing the inside of the mitten. Finally I machine bound it, also with leftover binding from an earlier baby quilt.
So here's the one with the grids, front and back:
And the one people liked more, the line quilted:
I totally love the binding on this one! The inside is flannel, nice and soft.
Also made this square one after a pattern of my old hot pad because I liked the fact that it had a pocket and I could just stick my hand in there quickly and it didn't require 2 hands to put on. I forgot to round the corners a little bit, but I think it will just do like this:
This is the back:
I was rocking the machine binding on this one :)
And finally I made this one out of flannel, which feels super soft. The flannels were leftovers from 2 receiving blankets I made waaaay back when.
Here's the front:
The back (a little wrinkly since I've been using it for 2 weeks):
Before you ask what's with the stitches... First of all, since it was for me, I didn't bother with bias binding, so the binding is leftover I had from my blue and white quilts. Second of all, I made and oopsie and sewed the binding on the front first, then stitched it down on the back. Yeah. But no one else will see it, so I didn't bother correcting it. I remembered it on the second one I made, and that looks fine :)
That is all for now, I also made progress on my Chain of Stars quilt, but I will blog about that in a different post.
'Til we blog again! :)