Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Guess what?...

...I'm home this week, and finally put the last borders on my Celtic Solstice top. Yeah. I know it's not like I finished the whole quilt, but I like to celebrate the baby steps and this was a big one. Some of you saw my tweet about my helper wanting to help out with the measuring. I get moments like that :)

Smoky helping with the measurements:

I decided to make a yellow binding for this one, just to contrast the dark green outer border, I'll have to get working on that.
Yesterday I ordered the batting for this baby and another one I want to finish. Now I only have to figure out what I'm gonna do about the backing. The local quilt show is coming up in 2 weeks, so I might just wait and get wide quilt backs locally instead of ordering online. Hope they'll have a good selection! If not, I was really contemplating the new-to-me Robert Kaufman quilt backings. I just haven't decided if I wanted blue or green. Decisions, decisions!

Meanwhile, here's the top:


Fiance is a tall guy with long arms, but even he couldn't reach as far as the edges go so the upper corners are kind of cut off, but you can get the picture without them. :)

I'm trying to decide on a layout for my Lucky Stars 2013 blocks. I'm contemplating putting them on point, which I've never done before. I just want to make the quilt a little larger, since it's 36"x 48" with the 12 blocks that measure 12". I even mocked up my theory in EQ7, in straight setting with flying geese in the sashing, and on point with the same flying geese. Again, I'll just have to make up my mind.

Here are the blocks:

Do you have any suggestions? Let me know in the comment section below! :)

And finally my dear Sleepy turned 3 last Friday!


'Til we blog again! :)

14 comments:

  1. Solstice is stunning! Beautifully done! Like the stars too--no opinion on the set, sorry! And happy birthday, puddy tat. (Scritch scritch scritch.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that a beautiful quilt (or top I should say) and it's HUGE ;)! And your Lucky Starts definitely need some sashing. On point would be perfect. You could even have "empty" blocks in between in case you want to showcase some quilting or to make it bigger. What ever you do, it'll be a another beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Celtic Solstice is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS!!! Over the TOP awesome!!! LOVE love LOVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow that is beautiful! (and looks like so much work!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an amazing job on the Celtic Solstice with colors, borders etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful...love the Celtic Solstice quilt top...the colours are just stunning. I think I prefer the BOM like they are...maybe extend it with some sashing to make it bigger. Whatever you do it will look great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilt is amazing! I love your Lucky Stars blocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your celtic solstice top turned out amazing! Smoky and Sleepy are beautiful cats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I just love your finished quilt top,especially the green border and flying geese! The BOM blocks would look lovely set on point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The quilts are fabulous. I love the movement and the colors in solstice. I think setting the stars on point would be stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it would look spectacular if you put in on point. It is not that hard. I have done it once for a friend who was moving away and it turned out great. I would use a common color to bring it all together though.... Yellow or even black.
    I LOVE your big huge kitty. He is very pretty.
    Nancy from Nancy's fancy http://nancys-fancys.mozello.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with the others that the Lucky Stars blocks would be great on point. You can get a ruler from Fons & Porter to help with the measuring of those side triangles. There are other rulers that work just as well.

    Your Celtic Solstice is beautiful! I love the way the top came out. Why don't you piece the back?

    ReplyDelete
  13. A knock your socks off quilt for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That Celtic Solstice quilt is an absolute stunner! I should really get my butt into gear and finish off my lucky stars from last year, I think I made it to May but I still really like my idea of what the finished quilt would look like so just need to get back to finishing those stars.

    ReplyDelete

I am truly glad you visited, and a special thanks to You for taking your time to leave a comment! It always makes me smile when people write to me. Thanks, from the bottom of my heart! :)